~Kevin~Melissa~Kayla~Hailey~


Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Running for a Reason

My big race is coming up next week and I am really looking forward to it!! My team, Chasing Chocolate, decided to see if we could help out someone in need while we enjoy our race. I am posting a letter from the cute little girl, Marissa, we are trying to race money for. It gives my team another reason for running.



Hello, my name is Marissa. And I am raising money for my schools new playground. I go to a really great school in Davis County. Everyone is really nice and I love it.
On my 1st day of kindergarten we went out to recess and I was so excited to hear balls bouncing and kids jumping rope. But outside there were no toys for my classmates and me to play on. I hoped we would get a new playground sometime.
Now I am 8 and half years old and going into 3rd grade. And Guess What?? Yep, our school is getting two new playgrounds this summer!!
Unfortunately, there is not enough money to put special toys that my friends and I can play while in our wheelchairs or not even a place we can get out of our wheelchairs.
This fall there will be about 20 kids just like me at my school. When grown ups describe us, they say we are “medically fragile, severely disabled and require full assistance; I don’t know what any of that means. All I know is that I’m a kid! And I love to feel my body move! I love to feel the breeze on my face. I love to laugh and feel all my senses. And it is especially fun to be near other kids also laughing and playing.
I want to raise enough money for a music toy and a sand toy. Just two special toys will cost $5000.00. Would you please help my friends and me to have a fun place to play outside next school year?

Thanks, a bunch!

Marissa (My mom and dad call me “Rissa Roo”.)


If you would like to help; http:www.active.com/donate/marissasplayground

1 comment:

marjann said...

That sounds like a wonderful cause!! Good luck on your race, I'm sure you will do great!!!