~Kevin~Melissa~Kayla~Hailey~


Saturday, August 2, 2008

Austenland

I treated myself to a book! Thanks Rebekah for recommending Austenland. It was the perfect ending to our girls movie of Pride and Prejudice. I ran into a problem while reading; I couldn't put it down. All I wanted to do was read. Yes my kids did get taken care of. I tore my self away to give them the attention they needed, then it was back to the book. Nothing got done around my house. But its OK, because I was treating myself. Now I have the reading bug again. I know that there are quite a few reading moms out there, how do you do it? Taking care of all your responsibilities and reading. I guess I haven't found the groove of doing both. I would like to hear any strategies you have of doing both.

5 comments:

Matt Hale said...

Austenland is my #2 favorite book ever - so I understand the addiction. I am reading mom, but I wouldn't say I am that successful at it! For me it requires a lot of late nights because I do most of the reading after I put Emma down.

Rebekah said...

Glad you liked the book! No successful reading strategies-- just sacrifices. Usually I give up sleep or pray that the kids will nap at the same time, but something always suffers: the house, my sleep, attention span, etc. But my sanity is in tact!!!

Watsdog said...

Glad you liked the book! I thought it was hilarious! I too am a reading mom...unfortunately my house suffers too. Reading is my escape, my sanity...it's a necessity. My kids go to bed at 7:00 (another necessity for mom's sanity) so I read mostly after that. Need anymore book suggestions, I've got a ton!

Becca said...

I'm glad you read, I think if you like to read, you should!
Have you read any of Shannon Hale's other books? Austenland is actually the only one I haven't read. I really like her books!
You know, sometimes I read while I make dinner. I really try to wait until naptime to read, so I can still give my kids attention and so I can get as much done as possible so I don't feel bad for reading all of naptime. :) Most the time though, something suffers and its usually the house. :) I think sometimes Zach wonders what I've done all day and then he looks on the counter and sees the culprit. :)

Linetta said...

Loved Austenland!!!! I have to be careful when it comes to books...my house and family know they won't get much of my attention if I'm reading so I try to only do it in short spurts! Love reading your blog!
--Linetta